The Master Gardener Association of Wayne County offers aid to community gardening projects or therapeutic horticulture programs. Both MGAWC members and outside organizations are welcome to apply.
Applicants may apply for more than one grant over the course of a project. In some cases, grants will be paid out in phases of project completion. We recommend requesting a grant early so that it may be available in time for the start of your gardening project.
You are welcome to apply for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. MGAWC volunteer-driven fundraisers determine the budget for grants.
The following grant requirements are required to all grant applications submitted:
- The grant must pertain to a site in Wayne County (some exceptions allowed).
- There must be a contact person that can be called for verification of the grant request.
- The applicant must agree to appear at two Master Gardener monthly meetings; one to receive their check and the other to present the completed project.
- A write up (2-3 paragraphs) and photos (separate from the report) need to be provided to demonstrate how the grant was used. This information will be shared on this website.
- The presentation and reporting of the project must be done within one year of the grant being paid out. If this does not occur, eligibility is removed for future grant applications.
- If grant money cannot or is not used for the specific project, it must be returned to MGAWC. This will not affect your eligibility in future years. An application form is available here. You'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is. Grants applications must be signed and mailed in to the address provided on the form. Electronic applications will not be accepted.
Please complete this form to apply for a grant and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail completed forms to: MGAWC, 22930 Nowlin St. Dearborn, Michigan 48124-2662
sampling of awarded grants
2016-2017 Fiscal Year
- Tools for Student Projects in Environmental Studies at The University of Michigan-Dearborn
- General Support of Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum
- Burnside Farm Market/Medicine Garden, Detroit, http://www.burnsidefarmdetroit.com/ and http://www.coolhunting.com/food-drink/burnside-farm-detroit
- Environmental Interpretive Center Student Interpreters, University of Michigan-Dearborn, https://umdearborn.edu/eic/
- Henry Ford Birthplace Park, Dearborn, MI, for perennials to attract butterflies, hummingbirds and pollinators, http://www.michmarkers.com/startup.asp?startpage=S0236.htm
- Henry Ford Estate, Dearborn, MI, for landscape restoration along the historic Riverwalk including native shrubs and wildflowers, http://www.henryfordestate.org/
- Michigan DNR Non-Game Wildlife Fund, http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12141_12169-30544--,00.html
- Tollgate Farm, Novi, http://tollgate.msu.edu/gardens
- Michigan Bluebird Society, http://michiganbluebirds.org/
- Strawberry plants for the growing garden used for education and fund-raising at the Michael Craig Gardens, Charles Drew Special Needs School, Detroit, MI, http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2014/11/23/drew-farm-feeds-students-community/19426009/
- Environmental Interpretive Center, University of Michigan-Dearborn
- Fruit trees for Tollgate Gardens (Michigan State University), Novi, MI
- Garden gate and plants at Henry Ford Estate, Dearborn, MI
- Informational pages for website supporting The A to Z Garden, http://www.gardenatoz.com/what's-up!/
- Materials for the Children's Educational Program: Rain Garden and Mushroom Garden (University of Michigan), Dearborn, MI.
- Contribution to the Harper Collection of Rare an Dwarf Conifers at the Hidden Lakes Gardens; Tipton, MI, http://hiddenlakegardens.msu.edu/garden_highlights/the_harper_collection_of_dwarf_rare_conifers
- Development of the Healing Garden at the Gilead Hospice Home, Detroit, MI
- Development of the Certified Wildlife Habitat Garden, Vernor Elementary School, Detroit, MI, http://detroitk12.org/schools/vernor/
- Contribution to the Michigan 4-H Foundation's Children's Garden, Wayne County, MI
- Preservation of Miller Woods, Plymouth, MI, http://www.millerwoods.com/
- Hidden Lake Gardens Demonstration Garden, Tipton, MI