LET'S GO GARDENING
Is an annual outreach to gardeners on Saturdays in May, in collaboration with local nurseries and plant centers. Established by MGAWC volunteer Leo Blum in the mid-1980’s, Let’s Go Gardening was replicated across the state because it is a Win-Win-Win-Win-Win-Win program.
- Local gardeners win by having easy access to friendly, approachable, impartial resources for quality information that will improve their gardening results.
- Stores win by providing improved customer service and making a tax-deductible donation to support community gardening activities that build interest in their products.
- Employees win by saving valuable work time by referring questions during the busiest days of the season. LGG is a short-term activity each year intentionally designed NOT to threaten the jobs of paid employees at plant centers.
- Members win by having volunteer coordinators do the work of arranging a variety of convenient locations where LGG volunteers can help gardeners in the spring.
- MGAWC wins by fulfilling its mission of educating the public. The association also earns funds to support scholarships (furthering education) and grants (fulfilling the mission of supporting community gardening activities).
- Community wins with scholarships and grants funded in part by donations from stores.